Healthy Brown Rice Pilaf with Vegetables
Brown rice is a nutritious and filling choice, which is why it features in many vegetarian diets. The following recipe combines healthy brown rice with vegetables, and includes vegetable stock and parsley for flavor.
This is a very simple recipe which you may serve hot or warm, as the main dish or as a side dish. This recipe makes 6 servings but may be enjoyed cold the following day or reheated gently on the stove instead. Leftovers will keep in a covered container in the refrigerator for several days.
A Versatile Dish
You can make any tweaks or changes to the recipe that you like, such as swapping the carrot for pumpkin or fresh spinach, the yellow onion for green onions, or even the parsley for cilantro or diced chili pepper. Add some finely chopped walnuts at the end of the cooking time if you want to add a wonderful crunch.
Just take a look and see what you have in the refrigerator to use up. That is the great thing about pilaf recipes – you can combine the rice with any vegetables and seasonings you like, and the result will always be tasty. You can use olive oil or your favorite type of cooking oil, or even a vegan or vegetarian-friendly margarine spread.
What You Will Need:
3 tablespoons olive oil or vegan margarine
1 coarsely grated carrot
3 sliced button mushrooms
1 finely chopped yellow onion
1 cup (200g) long grain brown rice
2½ cups (625 ml) vegetable stock
Handful of chopped fresh parsley
Salt and black pepper, to taste
How to Make It:
1. Add the oil or margarine to a large pan over a medium-high heat.
2. Add the carrot, mushrooms and onion, and cook for 5 minutes.
3. Stir in the rice and cook until it browns a little.
4. Stir in the vegetable stock, then grind in a little salt and pepper.
5. Cover the pot and simmer the mixture for 45 minutes or until the rice is tender.
6. Stir in the parsley, cook for 1 more minute, then serve immediately.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes