Tofu Coconut Curry Soup
On a cold day there is nothing like a hot bowl of homemade soup. It is warm, comforting and very delicious. One must try soup recipe is tofu coconut curry soup. This soup is packed with dynamic Thai flavors that will wake up and warm your palate. There is the lovely texture of the tofu, tender slices of carrot and that signature curry flavor which is complimented flawlessly by the addition of coconut milk. These components are then enhanced with the perfect amount of spice along with sweetness to balance it out. The best part is, making this soup is so simple.
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 7 oz. water packed soft tofu
- 1 can coconut milk, light
- 1 ¼ cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- ¾ cup fresh green beans
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- ½ tablespoon brown sugar
- Chopped cilantro for garnish
- Drain tofu and cut into 1 inch cubes.
- Drizzle canola oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add minced garlic to the skillet and sauté until lightly browned. Stir to prevent burning.
- Add curry paste and stir constantly. Sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add brown sugar and cook for an additional 30 seconds while stirring.
- Pour in the coconut milk, vegetable broth, lime juice and soy sauce.
- Toss in the minced ginger and reduce heat to low.
- Cover and allow to simmer for half an hour.
- Add the sliced carrots and cook for an additional 5 minutes or until the carrots soften.
- Then add the green beans and cook for 5 more minutes or until crisp.
- Put the cubed tofu into the soup and cook for an additional 3 minutes to warm through.
- Serve and garnish with chopped cilantro.
In the end you have a really yummy vegetarian Thai soup. All the ingredients in this recipe work together so well. This soup is hearty but will not weigh you down and the level of spice is amazing. The ginger along with the red curry paste adds so much depth to the soup and then the coconut milk comes in and cools it down. It is quite phenomenal. The soup is flavorful, healthy and vegetarian. What more can you ask for?